Thursday, November 8, 2012

Best Sleeping Positions During Pregnancy

Trying to get comfy in bed and sleep through the night can a trial and error type of thing during pregnancy. That's how it has been for me. Before I became pregnant, I was such a belly sleeper. Ahh, the good old days when I didn't have to worry about squishing my babe, though I learned I'm not really squishing her, but putting extra pressure on my uterus, which doesn't sound good at all. Before I really started to pop, I was comfortable for a while, still lying on my stomach. Then it got to the point where I had to stop that. I tried my sides, but woke up in the middle of the night with aching in my hips that hurt so bad, and as much as I wanted to roll over on my stomach, I couldn't. So I chose my back. That was comfortable for a while until I learned that I couldn't do THAT anymore as well! Nearing the end of my second trimester, back sleeping is a definite no-no, as it decreases blood flow and oxygen to the baby. I should've trained myself to start sleeping on my sides before I got too far along in my pregnancy, but I was enjoying "belly time" wayyy too much. :) So now what's a girl to do?

   Well I modified the stomach position; I lie down, kind of on my side, kind of on my stomach, but not entirely. I keep one leg straight and draw my other, knee up and propped up on a pillow. So comfy, and it's not putting pressure on my uterus.
   Another thing I found most useful was the pillow between my knee while lying on my LEFT side, and thank goodness, it proved to be successful. No pain in my hips! So really the best sleeping position in pregnancy, is primary the left side; baby gets some good blood flow and all the good stuff, lying on the right side is okay as well, but you want to try to sleep on the left side as much as possible.
   There's also the body pillow that you could use to try to get comfortable. I haven't tried one yet, but I have tried wedging myself between pillows and wake up to find them on the floor!
  Something else I tried, but know I won't get to do for long is; get a thick enough pillow to lie on, so that I'm lying on my pelvis, but the pillow is right below my belly, and another thick pillow to put a little below my chest, so that I'm on my breast and the pillow ends just below/just above my bump. It was comfortable enough for me, but I'm a weird sleeper anyway. :P

0 comments:

Post a Comment

sidebar content here

© 2011 Finally Mommy, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena